If you have been thinking of getting contacts, or already have them, then please realize the fact that buying them and wearing them is not enough, you need to take care of them too. If you are not sure what is the right way to take care of your contacts here is how you can do it.
Do not think that you can buy contacts on your own. You will need to meet with your optometrist and get a prescription first. They will give you a prescription and would suggest what kind of lenses would be best for your particular condition. The lens manufacturer is going to give you some instructions that would need to be taken care of when dealing with your contacts. Make sure you keep them in mind when using your contacts.
To avoid any injury or bacteria formation, follow the various steps mentioned below.
1. Before putting the contacts in your eyes, make sure your hands are clean and dry. If you had something to eat, wash your hands with soap, rinse thoroughly and dry them. Then handle the contacts. Make sure the towel you dry hands with is lint-free.
2. Do not try to handle contact lenses in combination with perfume and lotions. This might cause irritation or redness to the eye.
3. Never insert contacts in the eye with huge nails. Keep your nails short and trimmed so that you don’t poke yourself in the eye. Long nails can also damage the lens, which is why you need to be careful.
4. If you intend to put on some eye makeup, do so once you have put the lens in your eyes. This way there would be no risk of the makeup getting on the lens and causing irritation.
5. Tap water is not an alternative to lens solution. Never ever try to store them in tap water, and do not clean them with it either. When you want to rinse the lens, do so in the chemical solution especially designed for your particular brand of contacts. Also, many people think that it is ok to clean the lens by putting it in their mouth. This is about as damaging as it can get! The microbes in your saliva can infect the lens.
6. Keep disinfecting solution, saline solution and enzymatic solutions at home for lens cleansing. Make sure you ask the manufacturer what is the best product for your particular contacts.
7. The easiest way to clean your contacts is to take them out of their case of saline solution, put 3-4 drops of cleaning solution, put the lens in it and rub gently. This helps in removing any buildup that might have formed on the lens. Do not rub too hard or you may tear the lens.
8. Always clean the contact lens before putting in its saline solution. Whenever you remove it from the eye, it needs to be cleaned. Make sure you also change the lens case every 3 months so that it does not get infected!